2017 Entry Packet
The 2017 California Cup
The California Cup Club League is an organized group of water polo clubs that will provide each other an opportunity to play in an organized league format. The league is designed to increase the level of competition by competing against the best programs in California. Entry to the league is subject to committee approval.
Age Groups for the 2017 CA Cup League for this year will be based on age as of August 1, 2017.
- 18 & Under Boys & Girls
- 16 & Under Boys & Girls
- 14 & Under Boys & Girls
- 12 & Under Boys & Girls
- 10 & Under Coed
Teams must be comprised of mostly athletes from the appropriate age group (i.e. 10 of the 15 players must age 13-14 for 14 & under). Athletes who are older than the age cut off cannot play down (i.e. 15 year old as of August 1, 2017. cannot play 14 & under)
The Southern League competition will consist of a 1st division of the top finishing club teams in each age group for both boys and girls from the previous year. A second division will consist of new clubs to the league and the lower finishers from the previous year as needed based on total entries in the league. The Southern League final will determine which teams will play in a final 8/12/16-team California Cup State Championships. Teams with the best record will be invited to state finals from both Sourthern and Northern leagues.
The Northern League competition will consist of two play dates. The first will be a regional with teams playing against clubs in their area. The second date will be all the north league teams. Teams will compete based on rank from the regional play. Teams rank from the second play date will determine which teams will play in State Finals.
Cal Cup State Finals Each Team entered in the league will be expected to enter and play in the Championship if qualified. The top nine teams from the south and the top seven from the north who automatically qualify. If any of those teams forfeit their entry they will be a forfeit fine. Then we will systematically go done the list alternating North and South. The State final tournament results will be considered by a seeding committee as well as used to determine entry into the 2017 United States Water Polo Club Championships (www.usclubchampionships.com).
Play Dates: League weekend play dates can be found at www.cacup.com. These dates are subject to change. Division II dates might not coincide with Division I dates and these are based on hosts and pool availability.
$800 for 10 & U coed and $1,100 for 12’s and $1300 for 14, 16, & 18 & U boys and girls for Southern League. Northern League entries will be per event. To insure attendance, failure to show or provide adequate notice that you cannot field a team can result in suspension for the following play date. In addition, if you fail to show you will receive 0 points for your forfeit.
To enter the California Cup league each club will need to make either an on-line payment or you can mail your payment to: California Cup League, 12523 Limonite Ave., #440-304, Mira Loma CA 92880. Teams have the option of paying in two equal payments. 16/18 Girls payments are due by Sept 15th, 2016. To secure your spot we need payment for your remaining team’s entries by December 15, 2016. All balances must be paid in full by January 10, 2017, or we reserve the right not to scheule your teams.
All clubs need to host their share of games, most being a one day event. Hosts that have extraordinary pool costs can apply/negotiate for facility use reimbursement.This will require an original invoice mailed to the league. Officials will be paid by the League. All other cost will be covered by the host unless agreed upon prior to scheduling the facility. Host shall provide all necessary equipment, staff to operate the table, and report results by text or by email to admin@CACup.com. Results will be posted on the web site, so please send them ASAP after games.
- All athletes, coaches and administrators must be registered with USA Water Polo.
- Athletes who have played for a club in the previous year and have transferred to a club who participated in the league during the previous year will have to sit out a 90 Day waiting period which shall begin the day the receiving club notifies the League. It is up to the receiving club who wants to roster the athlete to request eligibility for season. The wait period shall begin upon the league receiving the email informing the league of the transfer. This waiting period will not apply to those athletes whom transfer from non-CA Cup teams
- Teams who play ineligible player will be sanctioned.
- To insure attendance, failure to show or provide adequate notice that you cannot field a team will result in your team being suspended from the next play date. In addition, if you fail to show you will receive 0 points for your forfeit.
- A USAWP verified roster must be at the score table prior to game and or upon request from the league or host.
- USAWP rules will apply except for ties, which will go to shoot out.
- Each club is expected to host games at their facilities with their own staff to manage the desk and report the scores to the league. The league will pay referees, awards, and administration.
- Each team will have two 1 minute time-outs.
- 10 & U Coed will use size 2 balls for competition.
- 12’s size 3, 14 & U Boys, and 14/16/18 & U Girls will use women’s size 4 ball for competition.
- 16/18 & U Boys will use men’s size 5 ball for competition.
- The 10 & U Coed will play 5 min quarters at 25 yards.
- The 12 & U Boys and Girls will play 6 min quarters at 25 yards or meters if possible.
- The 14/16/18 & U Boys and 14/16/18 & U Girls will play 7 min quarters at 25 meters
- Each team will earn 4 points for a win, 3 points for a shoot-out win, 2 points for a shoot-out loss, 1 point for a loss, and 0 points for forfeits.
- FINAL rules will be used for tiebreakers in league standing.
- After each league weekend, scores and standings will be posted on the league website.
The purpose of the California Cup League is to elevate water polo play and the referees who are calling our games. It is the league’s desire to afford coaches input to our assignor regarding referee performance and suggestions for the finals. Please email us any observation, recommendation, and/or feedback regarding referees so we can improve the quality of the league.